Its Friday, jump for joy! Its the thirteenth…..be careful. Actually, legend/myth has it both 13 and Friday are unlucky making “Friday the 13th” double unlucky.
For as long as I have been alive Friday the 13th has always been associated to something of bad luck or to be unlucky. Hotels often do not have a 13th floor voiding the opportunity of bringing back luck.
But why the number 13? In ancient times the number 12 is considered to be the number of completeness. There are 12 months in a year, 12 hours of the clock, 12 Gods of Olympus, and the 12 Disciples in Christianity.
One of the earliest taboos regarding the number 13 started in the East with the Hindus. This taboo was it was always unlucky to sit down with a group of 13. The reasons are not yet known but possible reasons could be one, some or all of the following:
- Last Supper has 13 guests (12 disciples and Christ) in which one of the guests (disciples) betrayed Christ, leading ultimately to the crucifixion
- Twelve gods were invited to a banquet at Valhalla. Loki, the Evil One, god of mischief, had been left off the guest list but crashed the party, bringing the total number of attendees to 13. In which the dinner resulted in a death by the 13th guest.
- To the ancient Egyptians, we’re told, life was a quest for spiritual ascension which unfolded in stages — twelve in this life and a thirteenth beyond, thought to be the eternal afterlife. The number 13 therefore symbolized death, not in terms of dust and decay but as a glorious and desirable transformation. Though Egyptian civilization perished, the symbolism conferred on the number 13 by its priesthood survived, we may speculate, only to be corrupted by subsequent cultures who came to associate 13 with a fear of death instead of a reverence for the afterlife. (Why Friday the 13th is Unlucky by David Emery)
Here is a list of some unlucky events that happened on Friday the 13th
- Death of rapper Tupac
- Largest hurricane to hit the United States, Hurricane Charley
- Cruise ship “Costa Concordia” sank killing 16 people
Are you superstitious about Friday the 13th?